Sympathy for God




There is a lot of talk on television about Evangelical Christian and their brand of God. This calls up a deep sympathy within me for God. There are so many versions of God that I’ve lost count. If all these versions of God are true to any extent; all who believe in God are screwed. Tied into this is the manner in which we allow God into our lives; and the impact that allowance has on how we do life.

In a class last night, we talked about how God is perceived; and the kind of God that serves our purposes. Some of the names for our conditional God were pretty funny, some dire. Whatever type God fits in for you is only a partial description of what God really is. What that is no one knows.

I have an idea that we ought to change the name God to something else; something less maligned and less feared. My chosen name is Gus. Gus never punishes. Gus is infinitely kind. Gus never grants wishes, hinders dreams, or keeps score. In other words Gus is nothing like Santa Clause. Gus, however, allows us to be exactly as we are; without judgment, criticism or praise. Gus can be anyone’s best friend.

Gus initiated the Universe as we know it, and is able to change even physics as we have it. But Gus is laid back and only acts for the benefit of the entire Universe. Don’t you just love my Gus? I do with all my heart.
 
Yes you can have God, I’ll keep Gus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respite

Pulling a Jimmy Carter

What The MRI Revealed