How To Pray



In New Thought there is a challenge with the language of self. What do I mean by that? I mean, when we have to use words to define our relationship with the Divine we falter. We are at loss to find the proper words or phrases to define our individuality and our divinity. We know from the teachings that we are one with the Divine; indeed we are a part of All That Is. That is basic New Thought/New Age teaching. Yet when we have to account for our individual self in that relationship we arrive at a language of duality; in other words the divine and the individual as a noun leaving out the “and”.

Some of us pray and therein lay the rub. If we are the Divine why pray? Naming an entity to whom to pray seems to put us on the horns of a dilemma. We are addressing our own selves when we pray; yet in order to accept this as valid we have to place that being somehow outside of ourselves. The language of affirmative prayer has a possible avenue on which to walk to that place of total acceptance of our selves as the divine to whom we pray. 

I have solved this quandary with the thought that there is the person I am living in a body; and there is the divine I am occupying that same body and every other body there is. It is to this grand and all pervasive self I pray. Sometimes there is cognitive dissonance I revert to the old concept of praying to someone outside of myself. When caught with his divisive thought, I affirm that I am within the Universe and the Universe is in me.

Today I pray to be mindful of that truth, always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulling a Jimmy Carter

Respite

What The MRI Revealed