Short Pants

( The poem honoring my brother also shared the cultural tradition in my community as a child that a boy was not declared a man until he was given long pants by his parents.)


 My brother was in short pants then  

Although he won't admit it

To hear him tell

He'd never been a boy always a man.

We'd roam the hills to shoot at birds

With sling shots made from branches

We'd catch at some

To roast on sandy gully floors

Over fire made from twigs.

My brother was in short pants then.

Come mango time we'd pick and eat

And eat all we could hold

Mama never said a word 

She'd always let us do it

He'd save the nuts from cashew trees

In gallon kerosene tins

The feast we had on roasting day

Precluded eating dinner

How he would scream And hit at me

For eating and not saving.

My brother was in short pants then.

He'd fetch the wood to build the fire

The fire for cooking dinner

He'd make two bundles of the twigs

One for him a smaller one for me

We'd balance them upon our heads

A gift to show

Our day away

Had not been only fun

My brother was in short pants then.

They shamed him for his slowness

In mastering the skills

The reading and the writing

The sums left unfulled


They never gave a single thought

To all that he'd accomplish

Outside from books away from school

The structures he'd define

He did the things a man should do

And buildand build all day

His hands would carve

And hammer and nail

And plaster all kinds of clay

My brother was in short pants then

Although he won't admit it

To hear him tell

He'd never been a boy always a man.

I was so proud to be his friend


He never seem to mind

My being along among his crowd

The only girl around

Meddling in the games they played

Messing up the scores

He was the driver of the bus

And I the only fare

The tree limb crashed

I tore my leg

But somehow didn't care

Because my brother was there.

My brother was in  shortpants then

Although I won't admit it

To hear me tell

He'd always been a man.

My brother's Photo: it was the only photo of a family member we had during my childhood

Somehow it was damaged.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respite

Pulling a Jimmy Carter

What The MRI Revealed